On March 23rd 2015 I heard the passing of Great Supremo Leader of Singapore – Harry Lee Kuan Yew.
It filled me with deep sadness for the passing of this Great Man. These have been my thoughts and my tributes for the past one year.
- Lee Kuan Yew was a Man of Vision. It was his Vision in building up a Great Nation from scratch after Separation. With little or no natural resources he opened Singapore to the first MNCs in Asia. Bringing in jobs, “know how” & immense wealth for Singapore
- A Man of Conviction. He does not mince words. A fearless fighter for truth & freedom. And he has forged a nation of conscientious citizens – living in peace and great affluence.
- A Man of compassion. In the early days of an Old Folks Home in Jalan Belang, Upper Thomson Road, I met an old woman who served as a servant amah in LKY’s home. She mentioned this, “Every time Mr. Lee brought back fruits he would first give a portion to the servants & maids. This act of kindness touched me deeply.
- A Man who lived far below his means. From the “hamtan kong” we see on TV we get a glimpse of the frugal lifestyle of this Great Man. No trappings of modern allurements. The exercise bicycle he pratised on looks like it’s going to fall apart anytime. And from the testimony of Minister Shanmugan that he was told by LKY not to waste food(ice cream) even if it’s free show conscientiousness. And when Mrs Lee was in Japan. At over 80 years old still thinking twice before buying a simple comb. This shows that LKY and his dear wife earn their bread by honest toil.
- The Very Home He Lives In Breath and Pulsate With The Welfare and Well Being of Singaporeans, first and foremost. A True Leader Who Served his generation unselfishly. Here in simple settings future plans were made for the well being of Singapore. In other nations with lesser integrity Leaders plot to swindle and plunder the Nations’ wealth like Marcos of the Philippines & Suharto of Indonesia. Singapore is blessed with Such An Upright Leader in Lee Kuan Yew. No wonder All Of Singapore turned up in unison to mourn him. He had earned their respect – many times over! It touched me deeply on this day of March 23, 2016, bringing back the sorrowful yet sweet memory of a Dynamic Upright Leader called LEE KUAN YEW.
- The Rise of SHENZHEN Was At The Behest of Lee Kuan Yew! It was this same Vision which made Singapore Great – that passed on to Deng Xiopeng who finally opened Shenzhen of China in Year 1980. The Next 30 Years Witnessed The Most Spectacular Transformation of a back water village to A Most Dynamic Exporting Power House called “THE WORLD’S FACTORY”.
- And It Was This Vision That Now Work in the SPORE – ISKANDAR WIN-WIN PARTNERSHIP!
On March 23rd, 2015 We Witnessed The Crowning of His Royal Highness – Sultan Ibrahim of Iskandar, Johor Darul Takzim.
- A Modern Dynamic Ruler loved by Millions in Iskandar & the Whole of Malaysia and Singapore.
- When the EDL Highway was constructed there was a family of Malays selling kacangs near the viaduct just beside the Highway. Seeing their plight the Benevolent Sultan made a permanent place for them to continue their trade near the Zon Hotel.
- A Very Intelligent & articulate & wise leader. It was said that His Royal Highness would send a dispatch to Singapore across the Causeway, every morning to get the English New Straight Times & The Singapore Business Times. By this he learnt first hand the going on in Singapore.
- A LEADER OF BOTH VISION & ACTION. And Action Speaks Louder Than Words. His cooperation with China Investors in Making Iskandar Great! His benevolent condescension to eat in simple stalls with his beloved subjects. His non partisan attitude towards political leaders. As His Royal Highness is Above Politics. His all inclusive embrace of all the races in equal footing – “Bangsa Malaysia (not Bangsa Melayu) has endeared him to all races of people in Malaysia! Many from other States Intend to Shift to Iskandar & call Johor their homes.
On this memorial day I observed with lingering sorrow the passing of Grand Leader Supremo Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore.
And On This Day The Momentous Crowning of The Greatest Sultan Malaysia has witnessed thus far – His Royal Highness Sultan Ibrahim of Iskandar.
What A Day This Has Been!.
The Passing of One Great Leader Followed By The Ascension of another Great Ruler.
It is indeed a mixed feelings of sorrow & hope. Hope for a Better Future For The People of Iskandar and Singapore.